I made this tier list to show you guys the how good each card is in TOURNAMENT in Clash Royale.
This is completely different from the ladder where you might see cards such as Royal Giant very frequently because it is very easy it level up in terms of being a common card. In details, I will only discuss about some exceptional cards in each certain tier rather than some obvious ones (such as Miner being in S tier).
NOTE: This list is based on my own opinions and it may differ from yours. My opinion is not better than yours. A high tier card does not mean that every deck should have it and vice versa.
The cards in bold are the movers and their old tier is listed in parentheses.
Tournament Card Tier List
|S Tier||Ice Wizard, Miner, Princess, Poison, Giant, Elixir Collector, Zap|
|A Tier||Lumberjack(B), Lava Hound, Guards, Bowler(B), Hog Rider, Musketeer, Mini Pekka(S), 3 Musketeers, Furnace, Inferno Tower, Ice Spirit(B)|
|B Tier||Sparky, Dark Prince, Prince,Balloon(C), Lightning, Valkyrie(A), Fireball, Skeletons, Goblins, Fire Spirits,Minions(A), Barbarians, Minion Horde, Cannon|
|C Tier||The Log, Goblin Barrel, Witch, Pekka(D), Golem, X-Bow(D) Rocket, Spear Goblins, Knight, Arrows, Tesla,Mortar(B)|
|D Tier||Baby Dragon, Giant Skeleton, Freeze, Goblin Hut, Barbarian Hut, Tombstone, Bomber(C), Archers, Royal Giant(C)|
|F Tier||Skeleton Army, Mirror, Wizard, Bomb Tower, Rage|
The OP cards. You’ll see multiples of these cards in top tier decks. They’re either versatile and can fit in many decks or have extremely strong stats.
Note: Despite 4 S Tier cards being nerfed (Ice Wizard, Miner, Princess, Zap), I still believe they’ll be strong and used frequently. They’re cards that provide a niche that can’t be replaced by any other card, and although the nerfs hurt, they’re just not as OP now, but still very good.
These cards are not seen as often as S tier cards. They’re not as versatile as S tier cards, but are still seen in many top tier decks.
- Lumberjack(B) & Mini Pekka(S) – One moves up and the other moves down. Now that the Lumberjack’s DPS is more in line with Mini Pekka’s (285 to 317), Lumberjack has finally become a legitimate single target tank destroyer. Even better, the MASSIVE increase in attack speed gives a Lumberjack another niche that makes it different from Mini Pekka. Lumberjack now shreds spawner troops, including Guards since Lumberjack does just enough damage to break the Guards’ shield. It takes Lumberjack 1.4 seconds to kill a Guard, compared to 3.6 seconds for a Mini Pekka. Despite being untouched in the update, the Mini Pekka falls in rank due to another card (Lumberjack) being able to replace it in some lists. However, the Mini Pekka will probably continue to see frequent play.
- Bowler(B) – Welcome to Bowler Royale. The slight rework of Bowler makes it much more viable to play. The one elixir decrease means you’re not committing as much in a push, and can play more cards to counter your opponent’s defense. That 1 elixir can be used for an Ice Spirit to deal with your opponent’s defensive Minions, or even Skeletons to deal with a defensive Mini Pekka. Since the update, Giant-Bowler has become the new meta deck, and with wide success. Whether that’s due to people wanting to try it out or whether it’s due to people not knowing how to play against Bowler yet, it remains true that the Bowler is much more playable now.
- Ice Spirit(B) –Extremely versatile card, and at 1 elixir, it’s a great card to cycle through your deck. Being unzappable makes it a flexible card that can be used on offense and defense. Some of its many uses is stopping both charging Princes for 2 seconds for 1 elixir or freezing an Inferno Tower for 1 elixir for your Lava Hound or Giant. Did I mention it’s just 1 elixir?
Quite situational based on how well the player use it. May vary from great positive to huge negative elixir trade.
- Balloon(C) – With people usually only playing 1 or 2 troops that attack air, Balloon combos has become more popular whether it’s Lava Hound-Balloon or Lumberjack-Balloon. It has a good matchup against Giant-Bowler decks because those decks usually only play Ice Wizard and also a Lava Hound-Balloon combo will take towers faster than a Giant-Bowler combo.
- Valkyrie(A) – A casualty due to the Bowler buff (get ready to hear Bowler a lot). The trifecta, although popular in ladder, is slowly dying out in tournaments because the small chip damage with each Hog push doesn’t compare to a single big push by a Giant or Lava Hound in this meta. Although the Valkyrie is not a bad card in itself, many people would rather use a Bowler for a comparable niche. Even worse, the Bowler even counters a Valkyrie with his push back and the Valkyrie’s slow movement speed.
- Minions(A) – One of the deadliest cards on a counter push because most people’s answer to them is a Zap, which leaves them with a single bar of hp. Pair that low HP minion with a Hog or Miner on a counter push and it does much more damage that you’d expect. However, people now have a secondary way of dealing with low HP Minions if you try to counter push with it, whether it’s Fire Spirits, Ice Spirit, Princess, or Ice Wizard or anything else. Then the Miner is committed for very little damage leaving the Miner user at a slight disadvantage.
Most of these cards shine when they’re used in combination with a certain card or deck. Individually, these cards can be lackluster or even useless.
- Pekka(D) – Moved up not because of its minor buff, but because it’s a good counter to the Giant-Bowler meta. It doesn’t get pushed back by the Bowler and it shreds the Giant. Additionally, the Bowler buff gives Pekka another consistent splash damage dealing partner.
- X-Bow(D) & Mortar(B) – My love/hate relationship with the Mortar continues. This time, it’s because the X-Bow has been getting some success in tournament play. The Bowler buff adds to this, and the Bowler-X-Bow combo is terrifying to play against once it’s set up. Even without Bowler, X-Bow has been used to success, more recently in SuperMagicalCup #6 by Patriots34.
Bad stats – easy to be countered – outshined by other cards or just all of these! Sometimes these cards may help you win the game, yet not consistently.
- Bomber(C) – Another casualty of the Bowler buff. While Bomber was already trending downwards before due to the absence of Barbarians or Goblins (two cards heavily countered by Bomber) and Bomber’s vulnerability to Poison, the Bowler buff might have put the nail in the coffin. Like the Wizard, Bomber may be card suffering not due to its design, but due to the plethora of cards that can perform just as well or better.
- Royal Giant(C) – The Royal Giant’s nerf heavily favors the argument that SuperCell looks at ladder play rather than tournament play when deciding which cards to buff or nerf. A card that was already weak in tournament play gets even weaker because it’s so oppressive in ladder play. In SuperCell’s defense, it’s extremely hard to balance the Royal Giant in both ladder and tournament play without changing its rarity.
Almost useless in current meta. You can barely see these cards in top decks.
- Wizard – In my opinion, the Wizard is a huge investment that only comes out with an elixir advantage in few occasions. It trades well with the currently much less common Barbarians and Minion Horde. Simply the Wizard doesn’t fit the trend of using cheap cards to defend (Ice Wizard).
- Bomb Tower – Other buildings take over its position as Bomb Tower hardly excel in any specific aspects. Furnace can stop the push better, while Inferno Tower is just too powerful against Tanks. Cannon is much cheaper to lure Royal Giant and Hog Rider.
4ClashRoyale.com hopes you enjoy exploring the Tournament card tier list guide. Don’t forget to hit the Like button, Comment & Subscribe if you have any questions for this guide and dig in more daily Clash Royale videos.